Getting Ready to Move Your Business:
- Be sure that you use sturdy boxes and that they are properly assembled.
- Do not overfill your boxes, allow room for proper closure.
- TIP: Label each box so you’ll know immediately what’s inside.
- Please tag your boxes and computer equipment as shown in the attached illustration.
- Proper tagging ensures that your belongings will not be lost.
- You may wish to pack an “OPEN ME FIRST” box that holds your desktop items and supplies.
- Seal small items such as paperclips, pencils, and other loose materials, etc. into envelops before packing them in cartons.
- Pack the contents of your deck, including all working papers, letter trays, books and other desktop items.
- Vertical file cabinets can stay full.
- Lateral file cabinets need to be unpacked.
- TIP: Pack and label the contents of each drawer.
- Tag your boxes on the END of each box; the movers stack them on dollies and cannot see the tags if they’re on the top.
Supply or Storage Cabinets
- Pack all contents in cartons.
- Cabinet doors should be locked, taped, or tied.
- Remove all contents and pack in cartons.
- Remove all shelves and stack them near the bookcase; label each shelf and bookcase.
- Remove the shelf brackets, place them in an envelope, and tape it to the back of the bookcase.
Coat Racks or Lockers
- Pack all items and properly mark boxes.
Office Machines (Typewriters, adding machines, etc.)
- Do NOT pack these machines…the mover will do this!
- Leave the machines on top of their desks or stands.
- Typewriter carriages should be centered and all cords must be unfastened and disconnected.
- Disconnect all equipment.
- Label each individual piece of equipment.
Pictures, Maps, and Bulletin Boards
- Tag each individual piece.
- If the item does not fit in a carton, keep picture on wall, and the mover will handle it.
- Consolidate small items and cushion them with packing material such as newspaper.
- DO NOT PACK YOUR TELEPHONES. Before you leave on moving day, please unplug your phone & make sure the phone is labeled.
- If you wish to take your chair pad, please make sure that it is tagged
Electronic File Clean-Up
- Information Systems may ask that you do the following:
- Check the network for unnecessary data…it costs big dollars to keep it!
- Use PKZIP to compress seldom-used data (M:/SOFTWARE/PKWARE)
- Combine the work group’s data to a directory and request an Archive Tape from Information Services by sending e-mail to “Service Request”.
- Remove old clients files, obsolete and unused software.
- Remove backup and “Temp” copies (*bak, *tmp, *jnk, etc)
- Remove multiple copies of data with a group
- Remove games, bitmaps, demo and beta versions of software
- A good rule: IF YOU USE IT, KEEP IT; IF YOU DON’T DELETE IT.
- Do NOT pack any PC equipment in boxes!
- Please label EACH PIECE of computer equipment that will go to your office. This includes: monitor, processor, modem, each CD-ROM, hard drive, mouse, printers, etc.
- Individuals will be responsible for their own laptop.